Teaching Artist Positions Available
Are you a professional orchestra musician with a passion and talent for conducting, teaching, and mentoring young artists? The Ottawa OYOA (Youth Orchestra Academy) is seeking both a conductor to lead its Ottawa Junior Youth Orchestra (OJYO), and a harp instructor to teach all Academy harp ensembles, with a goal of supporting the organization’s mission of Building Lives Through Music. The successful candidates will play a vital role in creating and shaping the artistic profile of one of Canada’s leading youth orchestras.
We want to hear from you if you have:
• A professional career with orchestra and soloist performance experience;
• Experience mentoring and/or coaching young musicians;
• An ability to teach foundational technique, early ensemble skills, basic note-reading and rhythmic proficiency, and to use creative projects for beginner students;
• Experience instructing students in areas including ear training (including proper tuning), sight-reading, musicality, stage presence, and confidence, as well as basic composition and improvisation;
• A knowledge of or willingness to develop a network of the private and school music teachers working in our community;
• Ability to be a flexible and committed member of the OYOA team;
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills.
WHY WORK WITH THE OYOA
The OYOA believes strongly that our continuum of education — from our pre-school music programs to string and wind ensemble programs, to our two youth orchestras (junior and senior) — builds not just music skills, but life skills. This approach forms the basis of our motto: Building Lives Through Music. Both the OJYO Conductor and the Harp Instructor play a major role in this continuum, providing students with a bridge between learning the basics of ensemble playing to becoming orchestral musicians.
Our current openings are:
OJYO Conductor – Part-Time: September – May
Harp Instructor: Part-Time: September – May
Please email a resume and cover letter by no later than June 26, 2018:
|Job Category||Conductors, Harp, Percussion, Harp, Piano and Organ, Teaching|