MANAGER, EDUCATION & OUTREACH
The Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra (CPO) is a pillar of Calgary’s vibrant arts community and since 1955, has grown to be one of Canada’s most celebrated live music ensembles. Each Season, the CPO presents classical masterworks, pop favourites, bold collaborations, and cutting-edge new works. Led by Music Director Rune Bergmann, the CPO consistently attracts world renowned guest artists and dynamic conductors. The Orchestra welcomes over 100,000 visitors annually and, in 2017, launched its live-stream initiative — an immersive, digital concert experience for audiences around the world.
The Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra is looking for a self-motivated and energetic Manager, Education & Outreach to join its Artistic Operations team. She/he is a key member of the CPO’s administrative team and must demonstrate the core values of the Calgary Philharmonic Society with particular emphasis on professionalism, sound judgment and ethics.
The Manager, Education & Outreach is responsible for managing and implementing the CPO’s education and community engagement activities. Working closely with teachers, school officials, and school board representatives, along with schools and non-traditional audiences, the Manager, Education & Outreach ensures the CPO’s strategic goals are achieved as they pertain to each initiative.
The Manager, Outreach & Education reports to the Director, Artistic Operations and works collaboratively with the full administrative team and orchestra musicians.
– Working closely with the Director of Artistic Operations, Resident Conductor, and Artistic Operations Administrator, plan the CPO’s Education Series concerts, including creating study guides for teachers, organizing school visits with musicians, and serving as point person for all details for these performances
– Working closely with the Director of Artistic Operations, coordinate CPO community outreach performances (full orchestra services as well as smaller ensembles)
– Coordinate teachers and volunteers who administer the CPO’s PhilKids program
– Track and report on annual expenses and revenues for all education and outreach activities
– Plan pre-concert activities relating to Symphony Sundays for Kids series, including serving as point person for CPO staff/volunteers, and all external participants
– Coordinate and schedule student open rehearsals, education clinics, small ensemble bookings, and any other education/outreach activities
– Prepare and submit musician payroll information for activities to the Finance department
– Cultivate stakeholders with representatives from the school boards, teachers, and community groups
-Organize, and lead quarterly meetings with the orchestra’s Community Outreach and Education (CORE) Committee
– Adhere to the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the Calgary Musicians Association and the Calgary Philharmonic Society
– Work with Marketing Department to develop, produce, implement and evaluate any internal and external communication plans for education and outreach projects
– Supervise volunteers and staff supporting activities
– Provide reporting and participate in meetings with sponsors and other stakeholders for CPO Education and Outreach programs as requested
– Other duties as assigned
– Degree in Music or equivalent experience an asset
– Strong knowledge of orchestral music
– Finely tuned administrative and project management skills
– Excellent customer relations and communication skills
– Goal-oriented with ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks under tight timelines
– Experience in early childhood education an asset
– High computer technology competency essential
– Candidates must be available to work beyond office hours including attendance at evening/weekend concerts and events throughout the Season
– Office location: Arts Commons, Floor 2, 205 8 Avenue SE Calgary AB T2G 0K9
– The Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra is an equal opportunity employer
Deadline: 9 July 2018
Please send cover letter, resume and salary expectations to: Agatha Starczyk, HR Consultant firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank you for your interest in the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra. Please note only successful candidates will be contacted.