Pembroke Symphony Orchestra seeks Guest Conductor for rehearsal preparation and direction for 3 concerts in our 2017-18 season. Dates: Dec.9/2017, Feb. 17/2018, April 28/2018. Applications will lead to the selection of our Music Director in future. All rehearsals and concerts take place at Festival Hall in Pembroke, Ontario. Rehearsal preparation (one rehearsal weekly) begins on Thursday, September 7th for the 2017-18 season.
Pembroke Symphony Orchestra is a community orchestra composed of mostly amateur musicians. Established in 1990, the orchestra always welcomes interested musicians of all persuasions, skill and background to play or rehearse with us.
• The successful candidate must possess qualities both as a Community Arts Leader and as a musical mentor in serving as Conductor/Music Director of the Pembroke Symphony Orchestra and must possess qualifications in the following areas:
• Knowledge of how the orchestra operates as an institution with an understanding that we are a non-auditioned, broad mix of the community.
• Compelling view of the impact an orchestra can have on its community, and the ability to realize that potential, particularly in a changing society.
• Ability to work positively and collaboratively with the Board and its Committees.
• Provide guidance and musical direction to each section of the orchestra and to the orchestra overall.
• Ability to program interesting, relevant and varied concerts.
• Select, in collaboration with the Programming Committee relevant repertoire, and then prepare scores for detailed rehearsals with the orchestra.
• Demonstrate clarity of conducting, instructions, attention to details such as tuning, phrasing, style, and musicality.
• Make effective use of rehearsal time and provide weekly rehearsal schedules.
• Demonstrate ability to motivate the orchestra positively through engagement, respect, sharing ideas and musical knowledge.
• Demonstrate respect for all individuals in the organization.
• Develop, in conjunction with the PSO Board of Directors and the Orchestra members, the artistic vision, goals and direction for the orchestra, and provide leadership to the orchestra to achieve these goals.
Concert programming available upon request.
We are accepting applications for the position of Guest Conductor through applications submitted by email to: email@example.com
1) Letter of introduction expressing your interest to conduct the Orchestra
2) Conducting Experience (CV/Bio)
3) Letters of Support (if available)
4) Selected programme listings containing works performed and with reference to the performing musical organization.
5) In the subject header of your email please type: PSO Guest Conductor application
Please submit these documents electronically in MSWord or Rich Text Format (RTF) to the above
email address by September 30, 2017.
A contract and honorarium is negotiable.