Tafelmusik Front of House & Volunteer Manager (part-time, three days per week)
Join a dynamic and expanding patron services department in one of Canada’s most high-profile and innovative musical ensembles.
Tafelmusik is seeking an energetic, experienced and collaborative individual to manage our patron’s front-of-house experience at Tafelmusik performances, and to recruit, train, and oversee a roster of 100+ passionate volunteers.
Reporting to the Marketing Director, and working closely with the Box Office Manager, the ideal candidate will have a proven track-record in house and volunteer management for a performing arts organization.
The successful candidate will be creative, highly organized and accountable. A flexible schedule and evening hours will be required.
Tafelmusik is an internationally acclaimed, thriving not-for-profit organization with an exciting artistic vision, and a warm, supportive and collaborative team environment. While active on the world-stage, at the core of our work is a series of 50 subscription concerts each season in Toronto. Music Director Elisa Citterio joined the organization in fall of 2018 and along with the Management team, brings exciting new leadership and vision to the organization.
Front of House
– Create welcoming interactions, with high standards of customer service, as part of the front line of patron experience at Tafelmusik
– Provide, or supervise, all house management duties at our home venue of Trinity-St. Paul’s Centre including those relating to performances, outreach, and special events:
— Lead the volunteer front of house team, communicating effectively to ensure the smooth running of the front of house operation
— Before events, ensure that the physical spaces in the venue are well-maintained, in good working order, and take appropriate action if they are not
— At events, liaise with Box Office (volunteer seating, accessibility seating, patron issues), production, and staff on duty
– Act as front of house liaison for Tafelmusik performances at outside venues including Royal Conservatory of Music, Massey Hall, and others, overseeing volunteers and ensuring consistency of the Tafelmusik patron experience
– Oversee Front of House Assistant at Trinity-St. Paul’s Centre
– Update and maintain front of house policies and procedures including audience safety, accessibility, and fire and evacuation procedures
– Ensure staff and volunteers have necessary training in policies and procedures related to audience and fire safety
– Deal with all matters raised by patrons, and when necessary, follow Tafelmusik’s procedures when issues or complaints arise
– Develop and implement Tafelmusik’s volunteer strategy, including recruitment, retention, and motivation of a diverse roster of volunteers representative of the city of Toronto
– Ensure that volunteers have adequate and appropriate training in customer service, accessibility, and health and safety
– Responsible for volunteer scheduling, ensuring that performances and events are adequately staffed by volunteers as requested by various departments
– Ensure that volunteers deliver a high standard of appearance and customer service
– Work with the Marketing and Development departments to ensure that the volunteers have a comprehensive knowledge of upcoming concerts and events, as well as membership opportunities
– Work collaboratively with other members of the organization, especially the Box Office Manager, Marketing team, and Events & Hospitality Coordinator to develop and maintain a coordinated approach to the Tafelmusik customer experience
– Along with appropriate departments, strategize, plan and oversee volunteers for specific initiatives
– Be an active team player in large scale organizational events, such as Season Launch
– Flexibility to shift focus as required with changing priorities and support team members to achieve objectives
– Key contact on site at all TSP concerts
– Develop plans & timelines in order to coordinate multiple priorities
– Be mindful of progress to timelines and budget goals and course correct accordingly
– Attend team meetings, rehearsals, and educational events as required
– Other duties as notified by the Marketing Director
– Demonstrated track record in house and volunteer management, or related roles, in a professional performing arts venue, with a minimum of 2 years’ experience
– Strong leadership skills and staff supervisory experience in a customer service/hospitality environment
– Highly detailed oriented, with the ability to course correct as required
– Skilled at Microsoft Office with particular expertise in Excel
– Flexible availability, including evening and weekend hours
– Ability to multi-task in a busy environment
– Up to date training in SmartServe and First Aid
– An understanding of access and disability issues
– Keep up to date with developments in front of house and volunteer management
– Tessitura database experience an asset
– Knowledge of, and passion for, classical music and the performing arts
– Affection for church cats
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This is currently a part-time, one year contract, based on three days/week, with the potential for it to become a permanent (open-ended contract) part-time role in the future. We are open to flexible working arrangements, such as working from home.
Hours will be flexible and overtime will be compensated with time off in the summer months. Tafelmusik offices are also closed for up to 10 days in December. Please note that there is an amount of evening and weekend work.
Salary and vacation are competitive, pro-rated to three days a week.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply by emailing sending a resume and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Front of House & Volunteer Manager Posting.”
Application Deadline: July 13, 2018.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however only those selected for interviews will be
Tafelmusik is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a safe and inclusive environment for all employees.