POSITION: Executive Director
LOCATION: Calgary, AB
CORPORATE WEBSITE: https://www.theatrecalgary.com/
CALGARY WEBSITE: http://www.visitcalgary.com/
REPORTS TO: Theatre Calgary Board of Directors
“Theatre Calgary’s vision is to stand amongst the best theatres globally as a leader in innovative, impactful and diverse programming. Its mission is to stimulate, provoke and delight through ambitious programming created to ignite, local, national and international engagement.”
Theatre Calgary reflects the communities, the country, and the world we live in with ambitious programming, passionate community engagement and extraordinary productions. Because of this, Theatre Calgary is one of the most recognizable arts and cultural institutions in Canada. For 50-years, we have focused our energy on providing our community with quality classic and contemporary productions, featuring the best talent on our mainstage. Today, we are Calgary’s largest professional theatre company and a proud supporter of local emerging artists with bold aspirations for the future.
Over the past 11-years, Theatre Calgary has engaged in national collaborations with companies such as the Shaw Festival, the National Arts Centre, the Citadel Theatre, as well as internationally with the American Conservatory Theater (USA) and Lamplighter Drama (UK). During this time, Theatre Calgary’s FUSE Enbridge New Play Development Program has led directly to the world premieres of several new Canadian works. The company deepened its commitment to Calgary’s theatre community, presenting an annual co-production in One Yellow Rabbit’s High Performance Rodeo and producing Shakespeare by the Bow, performed each summer outdoors in Prince’s Island Park in downtown Calgary, featuring young emerging artists.
Theatre Calgary is a model of strong fiscal management in the Canadian arts sector. Theatre Calgary’s Endowment has been built on this premise and is stewarded by a separate Board.
But the best is yet to come! Under the leadership of our outstanding new Artistic Director, Stafford Arima, Theatre Calgary is focused on bold storytelling and impactful theatre that will move, touch, and inspire audiences for his first season, Theatre Calgary’s 51st season in 2018-2019. Stafford is committed to inspiring the continued evolution of Theatre Calgary as it strives to achieve its vision beyond the mainstage, as outlined in our strategic plan, tcBOLD.
This is a unique opportunity to co-lead one of Canada’s most dynamic and successful theatre companies. Theatre Calgary (TC) is seeking an inspiring Executive Director (ED) to work in collaboration with our new Artistic Director (AD), Stafford Arima, to realize the company’s exciting future.
Together with the AD, the ED will lead TC to a new level of engagement with audiences while increasing TC’s prominence and importance amongst global theatre companies. The ED will seek the approval of Theatre Calgary’s Board of Directors (Board) in the development, implementation, and evaluation of sound policies, objectives and practices in support of TC’s advancement.
The ED shares responsibility for the overall strategic management of the organization and is wholly responsible for providing leadership of the administrative, financial, and general operations of the company, including oversight of the Finance, Marketing and Audience Development, Fund Development, Community Engagement, and Administrative departments.
The ED’s direct reports include the Director of Finance and Administration, Director of Development, Senior Manager of Learning and Engagement, Government Relations Coordinator and Executive Assistant, and the Director of Communications and Director of Marketing and Audience Development (in a joint report with the AD).
● In partnership with the AD and as approved by the Board, lead the company forward in the execution of the current strategic plan with a compelling company vision that inspires and motivates. Semi- annually evaluate the advancement of the strategic plan.
● In collaboration with the AD, the Board, the organization and the stakeholders, develop a future strategic plan following tcBOLD.
● In collaboration with the AD, ensure an administrative organizational structure is in place that complements TC’s artistic/production organizational structure and has the capacity to execute the strategic plan.
● Develop and foster a workplace culture that maintains the highest standards of excellence, equality, creativity, collaboration, inclusiveness, and fiscal, operational, and organizational integrity. Ensure compliance with labour, occupational health and safety and human rights standards.
● Provide inspirational leadership to staff and volunteers to deliver to the strategic plan.
● In partnership with the AD, represent TC with key local, provincial and national government officials, industry executives, strategic partners, donors, members, patrons, and other relevant sectors including public and private speaking opportunities.
● Successfully negotiate the leasehold/tenant agreements with Arts Commons and leases for other facilities, as well as the ongoing management of those relationships.
● Establish a strong, collaborative and respectful working relationship with the Chair(s), the Board of Directors for the Society and the Theatre Calgary Endowment Foundation Board (Endowment Board) to maximize the value of the Board to the organization.
● Work transparently with the Boards to ensure the opportunity to perform their fiduciary duties.
● Contribute as a non-voting ex-officio on the Board committees and on the Endowment Board.
● Responsible for developing an overall financial strategy for the organization in consultation with the AD and the Board that provides funding to advance the strategic plan and the artistic vision.
● Provide leadership to the Director of Finance and Administration, ensuring sound financial structures, regulatory practices and accurate reporting systems are in place including preparing the audited financial statements of both organizations.
● Lead the Director of Finance and Administration, as well as all members of TC senior management in developing a business plan and an annual budget that achieves the advancement of the artistic vision and the strategic plan for the approval of the Board of Directors.
● Assume responsibility of the direct fiscal management of the organization within the approved budget, ensuring optimized resource utilization, and maintaining a positive financial position including the management of cash flow and approval of capital expenditures and acquisitions.
● In conjunction with the Director of Finance and Administration, prepare appropriate financial reporting regarding the fiscal management for the review of the Chair, the Chair of Audit and Finance, the Audit and Finance Committee and the Board as a whole.
● Lead fund development strategies ensuring alignment with the artistic vision and the strategic plan.
● Provide leadership to the Director of Development to enable the creation and implementation of an annual fundraising strategy and campaign, including working collaboratively with the Development Department, the organization as a whole, the Board and the Board’s Development Committee.
● Secure a robust and diverse support base for TC by supporting the Director of Development and the Development Department in establishing, managing and enhancing existing and new relationships with key sponsors and donors, to facilitate the creation of new and renewed sources of major gifts, sponsorships and grants.
Branding and Market Positioning and Communications
● In collaboration with the AD, lead the creation of the overall marketing and communications strategy to ensure continued and expanding engagement with audiences and external communities.
● Working with the AD, provide leadership to the Director of Marketing in the development, implementation and analysis of leading-edge marketing and branding for TC using both traditional and advanced digital strategies and advanced analytics.
● Alongside the AD, provide leadership to the Director of Communications in developing and implementing strategies to ensure patrons, funders, donors, business/community leaders, elected officials and the public understand TC’s role, value, and contributions locally, nationally and internationally through traditional media, the website and advanced use of social media.
● Establish and oversee communications protocols internally and externally that both serve the mandate of the Theatre as well as work to promote awareness and growth of the organization.
Audience Development and Community Engagement
● Lead TC’s overall strategies to develop audiences and engage in communities as outlined in the strategic plan, and identify the metrics.
● Provide leadership to the Director of Audience Services in developing and implementing a tactical plan to achieve the goals set out to secure budgeted results for subscriptions, single ticket and school sales using best practices in all areas to maximize the patron experience.
● Working directly with the Senior Manager of Learning and Engagement develop and implement the Theatre’s audience development, learning/education and engagement strategies and tactical plan.
Front of House
● Inspire goals for the organization in delivering world-class experiences for Theatre Calgary patrons.
● A demonstrated track record of inclusive and strategic leadership, vision, collaboration and team building.
● Strong interpersonal skills, integrity, high energy and creativity.
● Alignment with TC’s mission, vision and values.
● Experience in a senior leadership position with an emphasis on sales and marketing, fundraising, Board relations, public relations and patron experience. This experience may have been within or outside of the performing arts.
● Proven ability to successfully develop and implement long-term strategic and annual tactical plans and measure the advancement.
● Knowledge of theatre activity: locally, nationally and internationally is an asset.
● Strong financial management skills and experience in creating, managing, presenting and interpreting budgets.
● Excellent stakeholder management skills with experience reporting to a Board of Directors.
● Experience in leading, managing fundraising strategies and campaigns and identifying new sources and increased levels of contributed income.
● Outstanding communication and presentation skills. Able to speak and write persuasively and serve as the spokesperson for the company in public and in the media.
● Experience and knowledge in marketing, advertising and public relations; particularly as they relate to growing ticket and other earned income revenue. This would include an understanding and awareness of the uses of social media, data analytics and the digital world in building brand and engagement. Familiarity with Tessitura or other enterprise applications used by performing arts and cultural organizations to manage their activities in ticketing, fundraising, customer relationship management and marketing is an asset.
● Experience building and effectively managing government and community relations.
● Experience in dealing with facility management including negotiations of leases, ongoing landlord stewardship, as well as project management of renovations, leasehold improvements and maintenance.
● Natural leadership skills; a proactive and dynamic professional who inspires confidence and credibility; has a strategic orientation and an honest, transparent and collaborative leadership style.
● A desire and ability to partner with TC’s AD to co-lead the development and execution of the organization’s visions and goals as set out in the strategic plan.
● A genuine commitment to establish an internal culture that values people and provides an opportunity for everyone to flourish.
● Authentic and genuine communication skills and public speaking abilities. The personal stature to inspire the organization, the Board and the stakeholders by representing the Theatre with integrity.
● Dedicated to the principles of equal opportunity, cultural diversity, and broadening access to the arts.
● A strong results-oriented work ethic.
● A confident, calm, and tactful professional approach that demonstrates EI with an ability to deal with a wide variety of people and with changing internal and external conditions.
● A pragmatic and effective problem-solver.
● A commitment to contribute to the Calgary community.
A competitive compensation package will be provided with salary, bonus, and applicable benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application by emailing your cover letter and résumé no later than Monday, February 12th, 2018 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Theatre Calgary is an equal-opportunity employer.