The Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra (CPO) is a pillar of Calgary’s vibrant arts community and since 1955, has grown to be one of Canada’s most celebrated live music ensembles. Each Season, the CPO presents classical masterworks, pop favourites, bold collaborations, and cutting-edge new works. Led by Music Director Rune Bergmann, the CPO consistently attracts world renowned guest artists and dynamic conductors. The Orchestra welcomes over 100,000 visitors annually and, in 2017, launched its live-stream initiative — an immersive, digital concert experience for audiences around the world.
The Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra is looking for a creative, confident, and enthusiastic Communications Manager to join its Marketing & Sales team. She/he will be a key member of the CPO administrative team and must demonstrate the core values of the CPO with particular emphasis on professionalism, sound judgment, and ethics.
The Communications Manager helps share the CPO story through engaging and informative content and is responsible for managing all communications activities for the CPO. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker, results oriented, and has demonstrated experience in forging strong relationships with the community.
The Communications Manager reports to the Director, Marketing & Sales and works collaboratively with the full administrative team and orchestra musicians.
– Develop and execute a media relations strategy
– Secure and grow positive media coverage for concerts, events, CPO’s live-stream project, and other initiatives
– Write compelling media releases and concert advisories
– Act as primary contact for media at events
– Update and grow media contact database
– Track and archive media stories and provide monthly media reports
– Field media queries and provide photographs to media outlets
– Produce and edit Prelude Live — CPO’s in-house magazine — including liaising with the publishing house, writing and/or coordinating feature articles, gathering and compiling content
– Coordinate additional in-house printed programs
– Proofread and edit communications collateral
– Support the Marketing Director with marketing activity schedule
– Write scripts for radio campaigns
– Assist Digital Media Coordinator with Social Media strategy and content creation for website
– Work with Community Engagement Coordinator on cross promotional activity
– Prepare on-stage speeches for all concerts and events
– Advance internal communications between departments
– Other duties as assigned
– Post-Secondary Education in Communications or Marketing, or equivalent experience
– Minimum 5 years Communications/Marketing experience
– Exceptional writing, editing, proofreading, and presentation skills
– Public Relations experience is required
– Publishing experience an asset
– Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
– Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
– Excellent social media insight
– Strong negotiation skills
– Experience in a not for profit or performing arts organization an asset
– Knowledge of classical music and/or a sincere interest in arts and culture
– Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team
– Candidates must be available to work beyond office hours including attendance at evening/weekend concerts and events throughout the Season
– Office location: Arts Commons, Floor 2, 205 8 Avenue SE Calgary AB T2G 0K9
– The Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra is an equal opportunity employer
Deadline: 9 July 2018
Please send cover letter, resume and salary expectations to: Agatha Starczyk, HR Consultant firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank you for your interest in the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra. Please note only successful candidates will be contacted.