The Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony is pleased to announce an Assistant Conductor position which will provide an exceptional opportunity for a Canadian conductor at the start of their career to work on a daily basis with a leading professional symphony orchestra and its youth orchestra. The position is a 40-week, 3 year contract from September to June. The Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony consists of 52 full-time musicians and currently performs a 35-week season. During the season, the Assistant Conductor leads a significant number of performances at the orchestra’s principal venue, the 1800-seat Centre in the Square. The KWS Youth Orchestra has 75 members performing 3 concerts per season, all of which are planned and led by the KWS Assistant Conductor. With this position, the KWS commits to making an investment in career development that will include regular feedback and mentoring opportunities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include
1. Working together with the Music Director and other key staff to program and conduct Family, School and Outreach concerts and other concerts as assigned.
2. Serving as cover conductor for all rehearsals and concerts. This includes personal preparation of all scores and providing written and verbal feedback on artistic matters relating to repertory (balance, intonation, dynamics, ensemble issues, etc.).
3. Auditioning, programming, and conducting the Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony Youth Orchestra – the most senior group of the five ensembles of the KWS Youth Orchestra Program.
4. Participating in planning meetings, media events, fundraising activities, speaking engagements, educational and outreach opportunities, and other activities.
5. Playing a key role in the KWS’s ambition to innovate in the way in which it connects with its existing and future audience.
1. High level orchestral conducting experience and broad knowledge of orchestral repertoire and concert programming.
2. Advanced degree in conducting strongly preferred. An exceptional level of aural skill will be required.
3. Fluent in English and able to communicate effectively to musicians, staff and a wide range of audience members and client groups.
4. Applicants must be Canadian citizens, permanent Canadian residents or have currently valid Canadian work permits.
5. Residence in Kitchener-Waterloo for the duration of the contract.
6. Candidate must be available to begin on September 1, 2018, and to sign a three season 40 week contract ending June 2021. There will be a three month probationary period.
• All applications must be received by Monday, March 5, 2018
• Applications must be electronic and include:
– A letter of interest for the position explaining how this position fits into career ambitions
– full curriculum vitae (studies, teachers, diplomas, awards, professional experience)
– electronic links to video files (ca. 10 minutes) of the candidate in rehearsal or performance with a live ensemble or orchestra (2 different excerpts)
– two letters of recommendation
• The search committee, chaired by KWS Music Director Designate Andrei Feher, will receive all applications for the position in confidence.
• Candidates will be informed of their status by Monday, March 19, 2018.
• Selected candidates will be interviewed and will be required to rehearse music from several different periods with the orchestra, to introduce music from the podium, and to conduct a short youth orchestra rehearsal.
• The interviews and auditions will take place in Kitchener on Tuesday, May 1, 2018.
The KWS is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. Accommodations will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under KWS’ Recruitment policy. Applicants are asked to make their needs known in advance at the time of application.
Applications should be sent to the attention of:
Marjorie Hopkins, Operations Administrator