Artistic Operations Manager (Interim)
Nine month term position
The Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra (CPO) is a pillar of Calgary’s vibrant arts community and since 1955, has grown to be one of Canada’s most celebrated live music ensembles. Each Season, the CPO presents classical masterworks, pop favourites, bold collaborations, and cutting-edge new works. Led by Music Director Rune Bergmann, the CPO consistently attracts world renowned guest artists and dynamic conductors. The Orchestra welcomes over 100,000 visitors annually and, in 2017, launched its live-stream initiative — an immersive, digital concert experience for audiences around the world.
The Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra is looking for an Artistic Operations Manager to join the Artistic Operations team in a nine-month term position covering a leave of absence. You will be a key member of the CPO artistic administrative team and must demonstrate the core values of the CPO — professionalism, sound judgment, and ethics, to name a few.
The Artistic Operations Manager is a hub of information within the Artistic Operations team. They manage and update the Orchestra rehearsal and performance schedule for the current and upcoming season — assigning services and complying with the Orchestra collective bargaining agreement. Additionally, they serve as a liaison between Artists, Managers, and Agents and the CPO. They transition critical information to the necessary team members to ensure for a smooth operation of the artistic elements of the CPO’s over 80 concerts.
The Artistic Operations Manager reports to the Director, Artistic Operations, and works collaboratively with the full administrative team, artist and production managers, and orchestra musicians.
- Prepare and manage rehearsal and performance schedule for Orchestra in collaboration with Director, Artistic Operations, and Artistic Planning Committee for current and future seasons
- Process and execute guest artist contracts
- Finalize programme details as required and manage OPAS database system
- Report to Director each month on guest artist fees, commissioning expenses, and other expense and revenue lines, as assigned
- Oversee contracting and scheduling process with Concert Operations Coordinator
- Liaise with CPO performance venues
- Assign services to Associate Conductor
- Liaise with Production, Personnel, Library, and other staff as applicable to ensure all project details are effectively implemented
- Minimum three years’ experience in artistic production within a professional performing arts organization, or comparable experience
- University Degree at Bachelor level, or equivalent, in Music, Arts Administration, or equivalent experience
- Strong knowledge of classical music, particularly orchestral repertoire; background and training in music essential including understanding notation, abbreviations and other common musical language
- Organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to calmly manage multiple tasks with efficiency
- Dependable, reliable and resourceful; ensure discretion when working with confidential information
- IT savvy; familiarity with ArtsVision, OPAS, or similar artistic planning tools a significant asset
- Experience working with Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Intermediate to advanced MS Office skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent time-management and prioritization skills with experience meeting deadlines and understanding priorities
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, constantly changing work environment
- Must be available to work beyond office hours including attendance at evening/weekend concerts and events throughout the Season
- Office location: Arts Commons, Floor 2, 205 8 Avenue SE Calgary AB T2G 0K9
- The Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra is an equal opportunity employer
- Start Date: January 7, 2019
- End Date: September 30, 2019
- Salary Range: $55,000 – $60,000 per annum, depending on experience.
Deadline: 9 November 2018
Please send cover letter, resume and salary expectations in PDF format to:
HR@calgaryphil.com with the e-mail subject line ‘Artistic Operations Manager_CPO_last name, first name’
We thank you for your interest in the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra. Please note only successful candidates will be contacted.