Affiliate Composer Application
TORONTO SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
Sir Andrew Davis, Interim Music Director
The Toronto Symphony Orchestra (TSO) is inviting applications for the position of Affiliate Composer, to begin during the 2018-19 season. The Affiliate Composer will work closely with Interim Music Director Sir Andrew Davis, TSO Composer Advisor Gary Kulesha, the artistic staff, and the musicians of the TSO. This two-year position includes opportunities to write works for the full orchestra, to interact with international visiting composers and to participate in the TSO’s extensive education programs. Critical training in program planning, orchestra operations, marketing, public relations, education, and development activities will be provided to the Affiliate Composer to enhance understanding of a professional orchestra. The Affiliate Composer will also have a role in promoting and representing the work of the TSO. In addition to involvement with the selection and programming of contemporary music, the Affiliate Composer will also have a role in promoting and advocating for the creation and performance of Canadian and contemporary music. While no age requirement is mandated, it is expected that this position will be filled by an emerging composer who has already demonstrated substantial accomplishment in the Canadian orchestral world.
For detailed information and history of the TSO visit: https://www.tso.ca/orchestra
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
– All applicants for the position of TSO Affiliate Composer must be Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents.
– Although full-time residency in Toronto is not required, it is expected that the Affiliate Composer be present in Toronto on a regular basis for committee meetings and for all weeks in which contemporary works are performed plus for selected Educational and Community Engagement programs.
– Candidates should have completed their training.
– Excellent communication skills and the ability and desire to connect with audiences to speak for the music and the orchestra are expected.
– Candidates should have experience working with professional orchestras; a working knowledge of Canadian and international contemporary orchestral repertoire is essential.
HOW TO APPLY:
Visit https://www.tso.ca/AffiliateComposer to submit your application. Applications must include:
– Letter of interest (maximum one page) addressed to: Toronto Symphony Orchestra Affiliate Composer Search Committee
– Full curriculum vitae (maximum 5 pages) which includes:
* contact information
* educational background
* three professional references with contact information
* A complete list of compositions, including information about past and further performances of works plus any discography or publications (if applicable)
– 2 scores with recordings
– Applications can submitted online via the following link: https://www.dropbox.com/request/7fMxOiiUbADZckLLrNxa or mailed to the following address: Toronto Symphony Orchestra at 145 Wellington Street, Suite 500, Toronto, ON M5J 1H8.
*All written application materials must be submitted in one single file. Only PDF documents will be accepted.
NOTE: The search committee will receive all applications for the position in confidence.
– Applications must be submitted no later than: Monday, April 9, 2018 at 5pm EST
– The search committee will include Sir Andrew Davis (TSO Interim Artistic Director), Gary Kulesha (TSO Composer Advisor), musician representatives of the TSO and TSO staff.
– Live interviews for finalists will take place in Toronto on June 4, 2018.
– The audition process will include an interview with the search committee and a written exercise.
– The successful candidate will be notified on June 8, 2018 with a public announcement to follow.
– September 17, 2018 through June 30, 2020
– Compensation will be discussed at the time the position is offered