Orchestras Canada is the united national voice of Canadian orchestras: a focal point for industry intelligence and collective action.
Orchestras Canada will help to create the conditions in which Canadian orchestras can thrive.
Canadian orchestras play a positive and dynamic role in Canadian communities, exemplifying the pursuit of excellence, collaboration, community service, innovation, and sound management and governance practices.
Orchestras Canada values collaboration and inclusiveness. We connect orchestras of all types and sizes from across Canada to accomplish meaningful work together.
We value Canada’s linguistic duality, and strive to serve orchestras in both official languages.
We value evidence-based decision-making.
We value innovative and time-tested means to transcend geographic and linguistic barriers.
We value and celebrate excellence, in the many forms it may take.
Theory of Change
Canadian orchestras of all sizes are experiencing an unprecedented series of pressures, from changes in consumer tastes and buying behaviour through demographic shifts, developments in digital and communications technology, venue renewal needs, potential shifts in government funding policies, and more. For Canadian orchestras to respond most productively to these pressures, Orchestras Canada must also evolve our approach, programs, and services:
- Sharpening our diagnostic abilities, and serving as a reliable and accessible source of advice and information for the Canadian orchestral community
- Building relationships with people and organizations who can help us in our work
- Animating collective action on issues that affect orchestras
- Advocating for and with Canadian orchestras
- Embracing new approaches to governance and organizational management, to make the best possible use of the resources to which we have access.
We will judge our success on the demonstrated impact of our work, on our ability to get our members (and their stakeholder groups) to work together to achieve shared goals, positively affecting the success of individual orchestras and their impact on the communities they seek to serve.